Thursday, May 27, 2010

Busters Exit/In Smoking Room Only

Busters Pool Hall, Lexington, Kentucky. Thursday, May 20th

Fun facts about Kentucky:

- Produces 90% of the worlds disco balls & is the number one producer in the United States of illegally grown marijuana


- All Chevrolet Corvettes are manufactured in Bowling Green

- It's home to the largest single soda container in the United States**

**I think I took this picture in Mississippi and I totally made up that last fun fact. I'm the writer, I can mislead the reader as much as I like.

-Women wear hats like this every day in Kentucky:


The Congress invaded the studios of WRFL for a live performance/interview in the afternoon before heading to Busters Pool Hall for our evening gig. The radio interview was conducted by a lovely lass (sans hat) named, Colleen.


Busters was a cool gig -- There was a ginormous ceiling fan there and a super cool painting of a skull that reminded me of the ole Powell Peralta logo. I'm going to Google this right now to see how good my memory is of ye ole skater skull



WOW, THEY ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I WONDER WHERE THE ARTIST IN KENTUCKY GOT THE IDEA TO PAINT THAT REALLY COOL SKULL HEAD TEARING OUT OF THE WALL? WHAT A COMPLETELY ORIGINAL, UNIQUE, AND AMAZING ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT.

Um, yes, The Congress plays cover songs.

Another fun fact about Kentucky:

- The name of the bands that opened for us were The Sour Masher Jug Band and The Blind Corn Liquor Pickers. Really, I'm not intentionally misleading you this time. I think they should combine forces and become Sour, the blind picker corn-liquor jug band mashers

Fun fact about the drive to Lexington to Nashville: We traveled from the eastern time zone to the central time zone. Meaning, we actually traveled back in time.


Friday morning, we piled in the car and headed to Nashville, TN for a date at the legendary Exit/In. The Congress opened the show for a great funk/soul band called Sky-Hi. Prior to the show, we paid a visit to my friend Dave just south of town for another terrible meal on the road.

We didn't eat the dog, but the dog might have eaten us

Mom, I'm eating my veggies!

The alminum foil balls are about the size of Dupree's balls

Friday night at The Exit/In was good aside from the stress ball(s) that was the sound dood. Not a pleasant experience to start off the evening. However, once Johnny Red Beard opened up those golden crystal pipes, the-ultra-cool-pompadour-Nashville-I-play-every-instrument-sound guy relented and actually may of cracked a smile. Meanwhile, an epic backstage party commenced at the Exit/In, one that the likes of Michael McDonald would have been proud of!




You ever wonder what happens in the green room? CRAZY PARTY TIME!

After that INSANE CRAZY PARTY TIME in the green room, I don't know how we ever recovered enough to drive to Jackson, Mississippi the next day. Actually, I do know -- the soothing sounds of Mr. McDonald and Kenny "Keep The Fire" Loggins...

Do you think Kenny Loggins's energy ball can beat Ryu's energy ball?


On that note, I'll leave you with this reminder of how awesome awesome can be when the stars align and the beards get together for a tear inducing, smooth-jazz, version of what could be my favorite song of all time, or, at least in the top one hundred and forty-three top songs on my desert island list. BTW... because iPods are compact in size, readily available, and relatively inexpensive, does the "desert island record/tape/CD question have relevance?

"If you were stuck on a desert island, what would your top 14.3 days of music have on it?"

Tomorrow: Madness in Jackson, Mississippi

Auf Wiedersehen







No comments:

Post a Comment