Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 8: Charleston --> Asheville


A few things I've noticed from driving around the south east:

#1 -- Gas stations in the south are much more than a place to fill up your tank. In fact, I'd argue that they might be the epicenter of all things necessary to survive -- and gain massive amounts of weight.

Where else can you fill your 64 oz super giant drink, (not to mention the fact that you can now add cherry syrup to your coke at the fountain -- I did), buy cigarettes, lotto tickets, lottery tickets, sausage and egg sandwiches, cold beef and cheese tornadoes, hot pockets, fried chicken, jojos, chips, a six pack, a twelve pack, a 22-oz can in a brown bag if you just cant wait, a bottle of boones farm, a box of wine, advil, pepto, motor oil, condoms, candy, magazines, pre-viewed dvd's, sunglasses, a pack of gum, and utilize a dirty ass bathroom (thank god, i'msotiredofholdingit getmeoutofthiscar Ihavetopeesobad!!!!!!!!!!!!)


AND THE FACT THAT...

The gas station also serves as a dang community center for the over 65 crowd who enjoy the company of old friends on hard plastic benches with luke warm coffee and stale chicken biscuits.


#2 -- Females in Charleston are fantastically beautiful. They are sun-dressed, sun-kissed angels of the south that manage to glisten in the wall of thick, dense, wet air you encounter when you step foot outside the climate controlled comforts of home. Meanwhile, I'm looking dapper in my sweat drenched and putrid been-on-the-road-for-a-week t-shirt and shorts, thus exposing my blinding white winter legs that have been attacked and ravaged by blood hungry mosquitoes. Luckily, those remain hidden behind a drum set on most evenings.


+




#3 -- The Charleston Pour House might be one of the best small to mid size venues I've had the pleasure of performing at. We arrived on a Monday to a strong rain storm that shut down the outside patio where they have nightly acts prior to the late night venue shows. We were a little nervous about our draw due to the storms but the room had an unmistakable energy to it that I think comforted all of us immediately. I can't put my finger on what it was -- PERHAPS IT WAS THE FACT THAT THE POUR HOUSE IS ATTACHED TO ONE OF THE BEST CUBAN RESTAURANTS I'VE EVER EATEN AT. Anyone that knows me understands that food is 1A to music, and my love for Cuban food may in fact equal my love for playing drums... well, maybe not but it's damn close. I ordered the cubano -- a simple concoction of slow roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard on a grill pressed hoagie that was perfectly golden brown. I chose the mariquitas (fried plantain chips) and a garlic mojo dipping sauce as the perfect accompaniment to the sandwich. I'm trying to wrap this up with something clever but reading what I just wrote is making my mouth water and my stomach rumble with cravings for more cubano heaven.

#4 -- After spending 5 years in Tennessee and traveling around the south-east for the last week, I will never-ever-ever-ever-ever-ever get used to or enjoy humidity.

#5 -- The police frighten me more in the south than anywhere else, except for Utah -- or Lima, Peru.

Back to The Pour House... After we enjoyed a fantastic meal, we got our gear loaded up and completed sound check by around 8:30 pm. By 9:30, I think there was one couple sitting at the bar. Downbeat time was 10:00 and I was afraid it was going to be an empty room. Hardly unexpected given that it was The Congress's first visit to Charleston. Regardless, it's never fun to play to only the bartender, sound guy, and the arguing couple at the end of the bar. However, by the time we took the stage, I think 30-40 people had arrived. By the time we finished our first set, we had approximately 100 very engaged listeners that clearly were enjoying themselves. Awesome! How the hell did this happen?

1 -- Free show Monday night. Cool idea by the Pour House -- offer up free, quality live music to the locals on a Monday night. Take care of the band by feeding them excellent Cuban food (see above), domestic beer, and give them a cut of the bar sales. If the draw is good and people are drinking, everyone is happy. If not, the venue is out a couple of comped meals and a case of PBR.

2 -- Charleston locals are savvy folk, they know the deal at The Pour House free music Monday's and they do their research. I talked to quite a few people who are regulars but they don't just show up, they check out the upcoming bands online to preview the show. If they dig the tunes, they show, if they don't, they won't. Apparently, they dug our tunes. It was a great night.

Yesterday, we had a welcome day of rest and relaxation. A leisurely morning at the cafe turned into an equally comfortable afternoon at the beach. I embraced the cooling ocean breeze which provided relief from the mildly sweltering city heat. In the evening, we trekked back to The Pour House for more Cuban delights and a nice set of tunes from our friends and members of the excellent Charleston band, Sol Driven Train. I also bumped into a long-time acquaintance, Bingham Barnes from the Nashville band, Glossary. We chatted for a bit like a couple of road-worn veterans. Well, he's a legit road vet -- I mostly pretended like I knew what I was talking about so I'd seem cooler. I don't think a week on the road necessarily equals any sort of "road cred".


Jonathan sitting in with the Sol Driven Train fellas



Scott's 26th Birthday in Charleston. COOKIE CAKE!



No comments:

Post a Comment